Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A writer relaxes by...

... enjoying great mysteries. I write a lot of romance, but truth to tell, my favorite genre is mystery.

I've been indulging myself with:

1. The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency on HBO. The season wrapped up last night--if you don't get HBO, watch for it to come out on DVD. Worth it. They filmed it in Botswana, so the location is beautiful, and they're following the books somewhat faithfully.

2. The Last Detective. Cozy mystery + Peter Davidson. What's not to love?

3. Cracker (the original with Robbie Coltrane). This series is a bit bleak, but they've made Cracker so interesting. And on what other show can you watch Hamish Macbeth kill Dr. Who and be investigated by Hagrid?

4. Midsomer Murders. I rent this from Netflix, so am at the mercy of the DVD releases. Faster, faster!

These shows get me through the toughest times, and I look forward to my mystery indulgence every night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep wondering how many people are left in Midsomer - it's a small village and often several people are killed in just one episode! I don't think I'd like to vacation there, and certainly not during a flower show, music festival, or book award presentation - all recent settings for multiple murders! But the actors are good. I'll think of you when I watch from up here in BC on Channel 3.

Jennifer Ashley/ Allyson James / Ashley Gardner said...

I know. Midsomer--the most dangerous place in England. I wonder that anyone keeps living there. :-)

Whenever I see an interview with the actors or writers they say the same thing. I think they just go with it as part of the fun of the series. People have been dying there for a long time now...